Tuesday, September 13, 2022

There is Only One Spotlight

Years ago, my dad told me a story about Maggie Wilson and her husband Victor Consunji's seemingly 'competitive' approach when it comes to posting their pictures on social media. He deemed their approach unconventional in the sense that they seemed to be competing on who is the more attractive one whenever they post their pictures. I think if I'm not mistaken he may have commented that the marriage might be unsustainable if they keep on going at that pace.

First of all, I will be honest when I tell you I do not know both of them. Maybe I heard or I did, but not enough to care about what was going on in their life. Next, for some reason I really do not know why my dad would say that especially he does not have any social media account for him to observe such things - while me on the other hand have social media accounts yet I did not care about it. So I just put it on one ear and store it in some part of my brain that I don't know if it was useful, "did you know", or just whatever. Lastly, aren't all celebrities like that? Post here, and there and everywhere so that they would garner a lot of viewers, followers etc. Perhaps it was like me thinking it seems to be normal for them anyway.

Then come around September 2021, the news broke that they were already separated. I was like "Whoa!" The first thing that came to my mind was my dad's comment regarding the (ex)-couple. I don't know if my dad was like a fortune teller, merely coincident or I don't know. I was just amazed how did the heck he figured out. I am not saying that that was the actual reason why they broke up but as we have known by now there might have been cheating allegations on both sides anyway.

So when I saw the news, the very next time we sat on the table together for a meal, I brought up the topic that they broke up and I told him I remember that he mentioned to me about them. He then expounded on his thought regarding it and said the relationship could have been saved if one of them decided to tone down their post about themselves and perhaps more about the other or perhaps their child. He mentioned Marian Rivera as an example who should be emulated on social media postings.

When we finished our meal and my dad have to go back to work, I immediately searched the Instagram profiles of Maggie Wilson, Victor Consunji and Marian Rivera. Boy my dad was onto something when he commented on the social media posts of these celebrities (I still believe he does not have an Instagram or any social media account for him to say that. Lol!). When I checked their profiles, my dad was making sense. All the posts of Maggie Wilson and her ex-husband are mostly full of themselves and rarely the other. Heck there was even one post by Maggie Wilson that struck me where she posted a picture of her then husband and I felt force in the sense because it's her husband's day, he has to be the "bida" or the star for the moment. Then I searched Marian Rivera's Instagram profile, there were solo posts of herself, but that was in relation to her work since she mentioned it was an "ad". I'm sure there's no problem with that since she was getting paid to post that. Also in her Instagram profile, she also made sure to post some pictures of her children and also her husband.

This made me realize something celebrity or not. There is only one spotlight. Whatever was in the spotlight was the only thing people could see in the public eye or in social media per se. There's only an ample space on that spotlight where couples could stand under it.

Now the question is how do they share the spotlight in the people's eyes? Equally, unequally etc. There are many ways on how to utilize (or not to utilize) the said spotlight - and also whatever the decision to make or break a certain relationship. If both couples are private persons, then great there's no need for anyone to be in the spotlight. It could also be one is taking a huge chunk of the spotlight while the private one would stand behind the shadows - which is fine since the goal was to ensure that the relationship is still going strong despite the unequal distribution of the attention that the people give to them.

But both initially desired an equal distribution of spotlight with even the more desire of getting their share? That would be a huge problem - eventually. While audiences would be amazed at both couples being glamorous in front of them, we already know that deep down the couple are fighting for the dominance in the said spotlight which would indeed put a strain on their marriage - perhaps this is why there are also a lot of high-profile break-ups. Which is why some celebrities would rather date or get married into someone outside of the industry, who is more reserved since their jobs would not entail them to be always in the people's spotlight.

We know that there are high profile celebrities locally or internationally that were still together, but we also know that there wasn't much tension for them to hold a grudge against the other if one of them was becoming popular while the other was in the shadow of the other.

To conclude, in the age of social media we might get affected with the number of likes, followers or friends that we had online and whenever we unintentionally compare ourselves with our significant other. I think before entering in such relationship, one must know the amount of spotlight/attention the other person needs then compare it with ourselves if we are okay with the setup or gauge if our love for them is greater than the amount of social-media attention we might receive. Then once we have those basis, we should know if we are willing to accept whatever role that was given to us in the spotlight of relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment